Blog > Viewport terminal

Home Forums ViewPort Viewport terminal

This topic contains 11 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous .

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Hello Hanno,

Is it possible that the built-in terminal of viewport could be configured to automatically display bytes arriving from P30 when the conduit is not used. So after SHIFT+F4 (or even SHIFT+F3 I guess). It might be even cooler to enable the same terminal to reply on P31 like PST does, but really P30 monitoring would be enough to save my sanity!

At the moment we need to click F6 (to disconnect Viewport), then connect to the prop-plug com port using an external terminal software. (Then close the external program before reprogramming… over an over again… say no more:)
    That would be a really cool tick box! (enable auto-terminal). Maybe it’s already possible… happy to pay for an upgrade version if needed.

Oh, on another topic some feedback…. I mentioned before about the failure to compile code using all 8 cogs (even without conduit compile). That seems to have been fixed using Bean’s latest PropBasic.exe compiler! Fantastic!

Thank you!

Hanno
    Keymaster

Hi Max,
    Great to hear that Bean’s latest PropBasic fix works for you.
    I’m trying to understand why you would want to revert to using ViewPort as a basic serial terminal and text editor?
    Conduit only requires one cog, but let’s you do terminal i/o while watching and editing variable values…
    Hanno

Anonymous

Hi Hanno,

A few reasons, but the most obvious and simplest is that I already use all cogs for my program so no room for the conduit.

However my program does output debugging data to P30 and that would be useful to view on the terminal. I noticed that VP is still blocking the com port after programming (we need to press F6 to release it before connecting the external terminal software), so maybe it is possible that VP could auto-display the serial data after programming when non-conduit programming option not used?

Best regards.

Hanno
    Keymaster

Hi Max,
    Running out of cogs makes sense. I guess you’re using the terminal purely for output and doing that slowly- so you’re not tying up a full cog with serial output. I’ve just revised the terminal in 12Blocks so I’ll see if I can support serial input for ViewPort.
    H

Anonymous

Hi Hanno,

Thanks for the latest update, 4.8

About the terminal question… to make things much simpler, could it be configured so that:

a) User programs device WITH conduit support, then com port is obviously held open after programming. (As now)

b) User programs device withOUT conduit support, then com port closed (released by vp) after programming.

If VP could simply close the port then the user can quickly enable an external terminal program to monitor the incoming data on the com port. VP does not need to hold open the port if conduit is not selected.

Of course even better would be for the built-in VP terminal to listen and display incoming data to the terminal tab, but if that represents significant development then it should be improvement enough just to close the port after programming. I suspect if you do provide both options, a tick-box for user choice might be useful (close port / listen at terminal).

Thanks for listening, hope all well,
    Best regards, Max.

Hanno
    Keymaster

Hi Max,
    If you just want ViewPort to “load” your code and not “connect” then use the “load” button or “run>load ram”. This will use the com port to reset the Prop and load code, but then you’re free to connect a normal terminal.
    H

Anonymous

Hi Hanno,

On my computer, regardless if I press “SHIFT+F3″, “SHIFT+F4″ or click “Load” or “Run”, after uploading the code to eeprom or ram, VP continues to hold open the com port, and it is necessary to press F6 “Disconnect” in viewport before an external application can use the com port.

Just for info, I often use “SHIFT+F3″, so I load without VP conduit to eeprom… not sure if that equates to Load, Run or neither! Me- I’m happy with SHIFT+F3!

…Sometimes when the hands are holding steady the programming dongle, it is difficult to find a third hand to click F6 and move the mouse to the terminal without breaking something :)

One solution might be to add something like this on the code line after programming completes…

IF (programming type = load-eeprom-without-conduit OR
    programming type = load-ram-without-conduit) THEN

comport.close()

ENDIF

Best, M.

Anonymous

Hi Hanno,

I am with Maxwin on this one. I do not use the ViewPort Terminal, but ViewPort keeps the Com Port open after loading the Propeller Ram or EEPROM, which necessitates a manual Disconnect in ViewPort before I can use a external Serial Terminal. It really is painful to have to manually close the Com Port every time.

Regards
    Andre

Anonymous

On the topic of the Com Port not disconnecting, this is from the ViewPort (Ver. 4.8.2) Help:

Auto-Connect/Auto-Disconnect
    Only one Program on your PC can use the COM/USB port that connects the PC to the Propeller chip. Typically you’ll want to use the Propeller Tool to develop new programs and use ViewPort to debug them. Auto-Connect/Disconnect makes this easy by stopping the connection when the ViewPort Window is no longer active (like when you select the Propeller Tool window). The connection will restart when the window becomes active again (when you click on the ViewPort window). You can disable this behavior under “Edit/Preferences”.

Anonymous

Hi Andre !

What you posted sounds interesting, but I could not find such an option at Edit/Prefs.

… wait, I’m still on 4.8.1.. did not get the note about the update…. will try now- fingers crossed !!

Anonymous

ok, tried 4.8.2. but still not found this auto-connect / disconnect switch.

maybe a past or future function that is not implemented in this version??

.. hopefully future :)

Anonymous

Hi Maxwin,

Yip, the auto-connect / disconnect option is missing from Prefs. Hopefully Hanno will fix this for us.

Andre

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.